Sustainable Design, New Construction, Preservation, Rehabilitation, Renovation
This former plantation camp was reborn to provide housing for farm workers who made less than 60% of the median income in Hawaii. This housing goal was met in two ways: the construction of new housing and the rehabilitation of existing housing. This specific project involved whole-house renovations of 45 historic houses as well as the removal of 18 homes (several of which were abandoned) in an area where 37 new homes were built. Four of the 18 existing homes in the area were moved then rehabilitated in former housing sites.
The new homes were positioned in an area off the historic village’s main vehicular pathways and partially built on land that was previously open. The project also included the replacement of all sewer, water and electrical lines as well as the installation of a pump house to increase water pressure for the project’s 82 homes.
Designed to be compatible with the historic homes, the new homes were all single-story on post and pier foundations, featuring a small entry lanai and hip roofs with asphalt shingles to match those of the original houses. Separate carports were introduced to eliminate the previous practice of tacking on carports to the sides of the original houses. We also retained the two-color paint scheme of the plantation era for all of the homes.
Aerial view of Kunia Village Historic District. Old Camp, ca 1928-1940, at the top right, and New Camp, ca 1940-1972, at the bottom left.
Historic Hawaii Foundation
Historic Preservation Honor Award 2018