New Construction, Adaptive Use, Preservation, Renovation
Built in 1941, Building 97 is a wood frame building constructed during World War II as a Link Trainer building to provide Navy pilots flight training. The dilapidated 4,400 SF building was renovated to serve as a modern education center for the Museum, which includes flight simulators, a mock control tower, a hanger that houses a single engine plane, a multipurpose classroom, and a staff workspace.
The project required full interior renovation as well as extensive structural wall and roof repair, adding insulation, and applying contemporary finishes. The Aviation Learning Center is now ready to train Hawaii’s next generation of pilots.
Photo Credit: Ralph S. Inouye Co., Ltd
Historic Hawaii Foundation
2022 Historic Preservation Award
General Contractor’s Association
2022 Award of Excellence