Built in 1843, the Cathedral was the mother church of the Catholic Church’s mission in the Hawaiian Islands. The church has been in continual use since the 1840’s and is now downtown Honolulu’s oldest building, as well as home to two of America’s twelve Roman Catholic saints: Damien de Veuster, who was ordained in the Cathedral in 1864, and Marianne Cope.
The original vernacular-style exterior with its exposed coral-block walls quarried from nearby Honolulu harbor was transformed throughout the nineteenth-century with Neo-Classical and Gothic-Revival elements; however the current Mediterranean Mission-style of the church dates to 1929. The Victorian-era vaulted ceiling and interior dated to the 1870’s.
Working with RDG Planning and Design and Brother William Woegner of Omaha, Mason Architects and our team of consultants have prepared construction documents for the complete restoration of the Cathedral. The Renewal Project involves construction of a new Reliquary Chapel to venerate Saints Damien and Marianne.
Artist's rendering of exterior renovations.