Historic Beachfront Cottage on Hanalei Bay
The Kaua‘i County Planning Commission objected at first but eventually approved the "ingenious, compatible, and sensitive" changes made in Mason Architects' restoration of the historic 1926 board-and batten house with its corrugated metal roof.
- The house was raised 18 inches to catch the views and moved 75 feet so it would no longer straddle a property line on the three-lot site.
- After the 1959 tsunami smashed into the L-shaped lanai, its makai side was enclosed and a deck was later added.
- Mason Architects demolished the deck and recreated the makai lanai, linking it to the side lanai.
- Posts and walls were removed to open up the living room.
- New footings, framing, and structural reinforcements were added where necessary.
- New ohia flooring replaced the old floors; new cabinets and appliances were installed.
Previous Project | Next Project