Mason Architects prepared a Historic Structures Report to review existing conditions and make recommendations for repairs and restoration of Saint Patrick’s Church on Waialae Avenue in Kaimuki. The church was designed in 1926 by Ralph Fishbourne.
Fishbourne’s 1910-12 student travels in France and Italy influenced his later work in Hawaii in such buildings as St. Francis Hospital (1926) and McKinley High School Auditorium/Administration Building (1927), and this one.
St. Patrick’s design was adapted from the architecture of Lombardy in northern Italy.
Its traditional cruciform shape contains a spacious sanctuary, large organ loft, and sacristy under a groined and vaulted ceiling.
The building’s heavy reinforced concrete frame is roofed in red terra cotta tiles.
The church was named for the patron saint of Father Patrick St. Leger, who initiated a tireless ten-year crusade to raise funds for its construction.
The report concluded that the church required replacement of roof membranes, patching cracks in the concrete, strengthening of the floors, and ADA accessibility improvements.
North and west elevations.