NOAA’s proposed Pacific Region Center on Ford Island incorporates four historic buildings: Building 130, a 1934 airplane hangar; Buildings 175 and 176, larger hangars built in 1941; and Building S-181, a two-story bombproof personnel shelter. These buildings lie within the Ford Island Historic Management Zone, part of the Pearl Harbor National Landmark. Mason Architects as historical architect has joined a team led by Helmuth Obta & Kassabaum (HOK) and Ferraro Choi and Associates in three phases of the Center’s design.
In 2005 the design team prepared the Request-for-Proposal to renovate the four buildings and construct a three-story atrium between Buildings 175 and 176. MAI
In 2006 the design team prepared drawings and specifications for the development of Building 130 as a Research Center Animal Facilities with live seawater animal tanks and supporting facilities. Mason Architects:
In 2007 the design team prepared a Master Plan to identify the most promising sites and approaches to the future development of buildings and the preservation of open space. MAI participated in design charettes to:
Photos: HOK and MAI; renderings: HOK.
Aerial view of site.