At Schofield Barracks, A Center for Children Ages 6-10
The design-build team of Mason Architects and Nan, Inc. designed and constructed this Child Development Center to provide a safe, secure, and age-appropriate activity center, indoors and outdoors, for up to 195 children and a staff of 25 adults.
- The 25,000 s.f. center and its outdoor activity spaces on a 4.2-acre site meet the Army's programming requirements and National After-school Alliance accreditation.
- The heart of the center is an atrium, a "mall for kids" where they can sit, talk, eat, play games, and just hang out.
- The center also contains activity rooms, offices, computer lab, kitchen, laundry, gathering areas, and multi-purpose space as well as outdoor activity areas.
- The center was designed to provide staff with visual control of the entire area and to be relatively maintenance free.
- The design includes intrusion detection and video surveillance systems, an energy-monitoring and -control system, and air conditioning.
- The building received LEED Gold certification and complies with the Energy Policy Act of 2005 with its low-flow plumbing fixtures, low-e glass windows, low wattage lighting and daylighting, the use of recycled and rapidly renewable materials, and the use of insulation and heat-reflective surfaces for thermal comfort.
Previous Project | Next Project
Photography: Nan, Inc., MAI