Five Stories in Kāne‘ohe Bay
This new Bachelor Enlisted Quarters located on Marine Corps Base Hawai‘i at Kāne‘ohe Bay was a design-build collaboration with Nan, Inc., Mason Architects and Group 70 International. The series of interconnected, multi-level buildings (the first 5-story BEQ on base) are connected via a single-loaded walkway overlooking a series of three landscaped courtyards.
- The 95,595-square-foot complex provides living quarters for 300 Marines in 150 double-occupant rooms.
- The facility complies with Anti-Terrorism/Force Protection design standards, including requirements for progressive collapse.
- The project is targeted to receive LEED Silver certification with various sustainable features such as:
- a 1976-panel,470-kilowatt solar power system will provide more than half a million kilowatt-hours of electrical power each year - the annual energy usage of the barracks;
- stormwater quality control;
- low-flow plumbing fixtures in each unit’s own bathroom to reduce potable water usage and wastewater sent to the sewage system;
- optimized energy performance with high performance glass, mass walls, shaded overhangs, low wattage lighting, occupancy sensors, and high efficiency centralized air-conditioning;
- nighttime light pollution reduction.
Previous Project | Next Project