Similar but Separate - The Castle Foundation Building
Mason Architects designed the new Harold K.L. Castle Foundation Building to provide additional office space adjacent to the 1940 headquarters of Kāne‘ohe Ranch Company at Castle Junction on windward O‘ahu.
- The new 3300 s. f. building is similar in size and massing to the existing building, which is listed on the National Register.
- It shares some of the Ranch building's distinctive architectural features:
- Steep, double-pitched hip roof
- Wide overhanging exposed eaves
- Rounded rafter tails
- Wood shutters that cover the windows when the building is closed.
- Both buildings, built on a slope, have understories in the rear, which accommodate parking and storage.
- The new building is LEED Gold certified – it incorporates a photovoltaic energy system, energy-efficient air conditioning, sustainable building materials, and low-consumption water fixtures.
Previous Project | Next Project